We know UVA and UVB sun rays that can cause damage to the skin. But what is not so well known is the importance in sun protection of protecting against High Energy Visible Light (HEVL).
High Energy Visible Light (HEVL) is a third band of sun ray. It causes as much damage as UVA and UVB combined. But HEVL is mostly not protected against in most modern sun protection skincare products.
High Energy Visible Light (HEVL) is high-frequency light in the violet/blue band from 400 to 500 nm in the visible spectrum[quote]Recent scientific evidence suggests that HEVL is harmful to skin. It has been shown to generate the same amount of oxidative stress as those produced by UVA and UVB combined.[/quote]
Facts about the Harmful Effects of HEVL.
- HEVL is responsible for 50% of the oxidative stress from sun exposure which is equal to the amount generated by UVA (46%) and UVB (4%) combined
- HEVL promotes indirect DNA damage from the oxidative stress.
- It activates matrix metalloproteinases (MMP’s) that lead to wrinkle formation and premature aging
- May cause uneven skin pigmentation
- May cause photo-sensitivity disorder
- Reduced barrier function and increased skin fragility
[quote]Due to the relatively recent discovery of the damaging effects of HEVL, the race has been on to develop an ingredient suitable for use in skin care and sun protection products that protects the skin from this new threat. However one such ingredient is called Liposhield™HEV, which has been very recently developed and is one of the first of its kind to be to specifically protect skin against harmful HEVL rays.[/quote]
Liposhield™HEV is a synthetic melanin made from a vegetable derived tyrosine (a naturally occurring amino acid that is a precursor for melanin production in the skin) which is designed specifically to absorb HEVL rays.
Liposhield™HEV is the latest innovative ingredient that can be added to new sun protection skincare products to give total spectrum sun protection instead of the typical duel spectrum protection offered by most standard sun creams.
Readers may also enjoy this article about the effects of HEVL on eyesight